All road improvements have been coordinated by the Washtenaw County Road Commission (WCRC) and City of Ann Arbor (which is on the border at Ellsworth and has, as a city, independent jurisdiction over its streets). Opportunities for public input have not been afforded by the WCRC but it is important for Pittsfield Township to share all the information that has been made available to us, which is as follows:
- A roundabout is planned at the intersection of State and Ellsworth. This project design and implementation is being undertaken by the WCRC in Pittsfield Township.
- State Street and Airport Boulevard/Research Park Drive Intersection:
a. Eliminate direct left turns onto State Street from both Airport Boulevard and Research Park Drive. This work includes modifying the existing traffic signal and constructing two-lane boulevard crossovers on both Airport Boulevard and Research Park Drive
- Eliminate direct left turns onto State Street from both Airport Boulevard and Research Park Drive. This work includes modifying the existing traffic signal and constructing two-lane boulevard crossovers on both Airport Boulevard and Research Park Drive.
- Convert the westernmost southbound through lane on State Street to a right-turn lane at the Airport Boulevard intersection for traffic turning westbound and widen the easternmost southbound lane to provide two through southbound lanes and one right-turn lane at the Airport Boulevard intersection.
- Modifying the existing eastbound right-turn lane on Airport Boulevard at the State Street intersection for traffic turning southbound by extending the existing lane to provide 200 feet of storage with a 75 foot long widening taper.
- Construct pedestrian crossings compliant with American with Disability Act ("ADA") for all legs of the intersection.
- Airport Boulevard
- Reconfigure Airport Boulevard between Ellsworth Road and State Street as a three-lane roadway which is to be accomplished using permanent pavement markings.
- Work would also include the construction of a ten foot wide shared use pathway on the east/south side of Airport Boulevard along the Costco street frontages.
- Airport Boulevard and Ellsworth Road Intersection:
- Construct a mast arm traffic signal at the Airport Boulevard and Ellsworth Road intersection including pedestrian signals with push buttons and ADA complaint sidewalk/pathway ramps for all legs of the intersection.
- Extend the existing auxiliary westbound right-turn lane and paved shoulder on Ellsworth Road for vehicular traffic turning northbound at the Airport Boulevard intersection. The length of this auxiliary westbound right-turn lane shall provide 150 feet of storage with a 130 foot long widening taper.
- Install roadway delineation through the use of permanent pavement markings on the south approach of the Airport Boulevard intersection to include left-turn storage for one vehicle in the left-turn lane.
- Lohr Road and Ellsworth Road Intersection:
- Construct a northbound eleven foot wide auxiliary right-turn lane on Lohr Road at the Ellsworth Road intersection for traffic turning eastbound. The auxiliary right-turn lane shall provide 200 feet of storage with a 130 foot long widening taper.
- Extend the existing southbound Lohr Road left-turn lane to the north a total distance of 205 feet using permanent pavement markings.
- I-94/State Street Interchange: Widen and modify the existing signalized exit ramp terminals as required by the Michigan Department of Transportation ("MDOT").
All costs and expenses for the road improvements, with the exception of the roundabout, will be borne by Costco. The construction of the road improvements shall be completed in accordance with all applicable WCRC procedures and regulations. The construction of the road improvements shall also be completed in accordance with all applicable standards and guidelines of MDOT and the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials.
Please contact the WCRC with questions or comments.